sexta-feira, 16 de agosto de 2013

Moon Cake

Review nr. 41!! Hey guys, I'm back from my vacation so now you can expect daily updates again! Yay! So today I'll review 4 things, the first being this: the Chinese Moon Cake!
I first heard of these cakes when I was younger from a cartoon called "The Jackie Chan Adventures"(have you ever watched that? I used to really like those cartoons!).
These cakes are ususally made for the Mid-Autumn Festival, when people worship and watch the moon, hence the name.
Packaging: These come in a clear plastic tray surounded by clear plastic with some gold designes on the edges.

The Cake: This is a really beautiful cake, you don't see this kind of attention to detail in most pastries! The thin crust is highly decorated with a chinese character and some leaf-like patterns. The inside is traditionally filled with a thick layer of lotus seed or red bean paste and one or two egg yolks. Mine, however, has a red been paste filling and no egg yolks.

The Flavour: The outside is really thin and soft. The inside layer, although it's red bean paste like anpan, has a different flavour. I'll justify that with the amount of paste in these being a lot higher. This red bean paste has a sweet, really nutty flavour, like really sweet peanuts. It's nice but a little overly sweet for me.

Rating: 6,5 out of 10
Overall, too sweet for me but good. The kind of cake that is made to share, I don't believe a person could eat all of it alone.

Store: Supermercado Hua Tai Li

Price: 2,25 euros

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário